Conservation International: where big data is a big deal
Objective: Enable distributed network of governments, researchers and scientists to pool and analyze vast amounts of structured and unstructured environmental field data
Approach: Implement a flexible, cloud-based big data analytics platform with functionality to index both structured and unstructured data and support very high-speed queries.
- 2.5 million camera trap records, 6.8 million climate records generate 8.3 million data records, 5TB of data
- Advanced analytics that took days or months now complete in under 5 hours
- 17 active research sites monitor over 244 species
- Enable 12 million people to sustainably manage nearly 1 billion acres of land, river systems and marine environments in 78 countries
- Analyze species trends 9x faster