Enable and customize settings for pre-configured or custom alerts for each database. For example, you can set the Threshold Value for Node Disk Usage to a 20% minimum or 80% maximum. If any node exceeds either of those thresholds, the MC generates a message and you receive a notification. Take action on alerts in the Message Center.
To access the Alerts tab, log in to the Management Console, then select Go to database > Settings > Alerts.
To configure any alert, you must toggle the switch on the left of the row to the on position. Node State Change is the only pre-configured alert turned on by default. By default, custom alerts are toggled off.
Pre-configued and custom alerts have the following settings:
- Query variables: Custom alerts only. Query variables are the variables that you added when you created the alert. You must provide a value for each variable. The query variable is not validated after you create the alert. If you update the variable to a value that results in an invalid query, the alert is silently disabled during the next execution.
To view the original SQL query, hover the mouse over the alert name to display the alert in a tooltip.
- Threshold Value: Pre-configured alerts only. You can add a lower and upper limit on acceptable operating values for the component.
- Check Interval: This value determines how often Vertica executes the underlying SQL for the alert.
- Alert Priority: You can assign one of the following priority labels to determine how the alert is distributed in the MC and to users:
- Warning: Creates a message in the Message Center.
- Alert: Displays the message using the message alert notification mechanisms on the Overview page and creates a message in the Message Center.
- Critical: Sends an email notification, displays the message alert in the Overview page, and creates a message in the Message Center.
- Alert Email Recipients: You can send an email notification to users when an alert is triggered. You must have SMPT configured. For details about adding email recipients to alerts, see Creating a Custom Alert.
- Vertical ellipses: For custom alerts and new resource pool alerts, click the vertical ellipses to delete the alert. You must have MC admin role privileges to delete an alert.
Configuring Resource Pool Alerts
Resource pool alerts use the same configurable settings as the other alerts, but you can set alerts per resource pool. By default, pre-configured alerts are set for the GENERAL pool only.
Only users with MC ADMIN role privileges can add alerts for resource pools other than the GENERAL pool.
- In the top row labeled Resource Pool, select the blue box with a plus (+) symbol on the far right of the row. When you hover over the button, the button expands and displays Add Resource Pool Alert +.
The New Resource Pool Alert window opens.
- In Alert Name, choose the alert that you want to add to a resource pool.
- In Resource Pool, choose the resource pool that you want to add this alert to.
- When you are finished configuring the remaining settings, select Create Alert.
To delete the alert, select the vertical ellipses at the right of the row, and select Delete. You must have MC admin role privileges to delete an alert.