Vertica Support for LVM
Vertica 10.1.x supports Linux Volume Manager (LVM) on all supported operating systems.
LVM Version Supported
Vertica supports LVM version 2.02.66 or later, and must include device-mapper version 1.02.48 or later.
LVM Configuration Notes
In configuring LVM:
- When you create logical volumes with the
lvcreatecommand, use the
readaheadoption to set the read ahead sector count to greater than 2048 KB.
- You can use the default settings for all other LVM options.
The following limitations apply to LVM support:
- You cannot have physical drives shared across several nodes.
- Vertica supports linear logical volumes only. Vertica does not support striped or mirrored logical volumes.
- Vertica supports extending logical volumes (
lvextend), but not reducing the size of a logical volume.
- Vertica recommends frequent backups.
- Vertica does not support LVM backup and restore, such as LVM snapshot and merge. Use the Vertica backup utility, vbr.
- Vertica does not support LVM space reclamation because space reclamation is duplicated when reducing the size of a logical volume.
- Vertica does not support LVM migration. Use Vertica Copy operations.
- Vertica does not support LVM high availability. Use Vertica high availability capabilities.
- Vertica does not support LVM RAID. Configure RAID at the disk controller level.