Installing the vsql Client
The vsql client is installed as part of the Vertica server rpm. It is also available as a download for other Unix-based systems.
- Use a web browser to log in to the Vertica portal.
- Click Downloads, and choose Client Drivers.
Download the appropriate vsql client. There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions for most platforms.
Vertica provides the FIPS-compliant client driver only as an rpm for 64-bit clients. You can install this rpm only on FIPS-enabled machines. The FIPS client includes vsql and ODBC drivers. If you are installing the FIPS-specific client, refer to the section, Installing the FIPS Client Driver for ODBC and vsql.
- Extract the tarball. The tarball is organized to extract into /opt/vertica if you extract it at the root (/) of the drive.
- Optionally add the directory where the vsql client resides to your path.
- Verify mode on the vsql file is executable. For example:
chmod ugo+x vsql_VERSION
- Set your shell locale to a locale supported by vsql. For example, in your .profile, add,
vsql on Windows is installed as part of the Windows Client Driver package. For installation details, see The Vertica Client Drivers and Tools for Windows.
See Using vsql for Windows Users for details on using vsql in a Windows console.