|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with Datawatch Monarch: Connection Guide
About Vertica Connection Guides
Vertica connection guides provide basic information about setting up connections to Vertica from software that our technology partners create. These documents provide guidance using one version of Vertica and one version of the third party vendor’s software. Other versions of the third-party product may work with Vertica. However, we may not have tested those other versions.
Vertica and Datawatch Monarch: Versions Tested
Datawatch Monarch 15.0.0, 64-bit
Vertica ODBC driver 9.1.x
Vertica Server 9.1.x
Note Some earlier versions of Datawatch Monarch are not compatible with Vertica.
Datawatch Monarch Overview
Datawatch Monarch is a solution for self-service data preparation and visual discovery, available as a Windows 32-bit or 64-bit application. For details, see the Datawatch website.
Download and Install Datawatch Monarch
Before you install Datawatch Monarch, review the system requirements and prerequisites for installation in the Monarch Installation Guide.
Download the latest version of Monarch that corresponds to your Windows system (either 32-bit or 64-bit). A free trial version of Datawatch Monarch is available here.
Install Monarch as an administrator, following the instructions in the installation guide.
Download and Install the Vertica Client Drivers
Before you can connect to Vertica using Datawatch Monarch, you must install the Vertica client package. This package includes the ODBC client driver that Datawatch Monarch uses to connect to Vertica.
Download Vertica Client Drivers
- Navigate to the Vertica Client Drivers page on the Vertica website.
- Download the version of the Vertica client package that is compatible with the architecture of your operating system and Vertica server version.
Note Vertica drivers are forward compatible, so you can connect to the Vertica server using previous versions of the client. For more information about client and server compatibility, see Client Driver and Server Version Compatibility in the Vertica documentation.
Install Vertica Client Drivers
Based on the client package you downloaded, follow the steps for installation from the Vertica documentation.
Create an ODBC Data Source Name (DSN)
You must create a DSN to use the ODBC driver to connect to Vertica from Datawatch Monarch. You can set up either a 64-bit DSN or a 32-bit DSN, depending on your operating system and Datawatch Monarch version.
Follow these steps to create a DSN:
Navigate to the appropriate folder, depending on which DSN you need to install:
- 64-bit DSN: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC).
- 32-bit DSN: Navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and locate the program file called exe.
The ODBC Data Source Administrator displays.
- In the System DSN tab, click Add.
- In the Create a New Data Source dialog box, select Vertica driver and click Finish.
The Vertica ODBC DSN configuration dialog box appears.
In the Basic Settings tab, fill in the following required fields:
- DSN Name: The name for the DSN.
- Server: The host name or the IP address of the Vertica server to which you want to connect.
- Database: The name of the Vertica database.
- User Name: The name of the user account to use when connecting to the database.
- Click OK.
The Vertica ODBC DSN configuration window closes and your new DSN in listed in the ODBC Data Source Administrator window.
- Click OK to close the ODBC Data Source Administrator window.
For more information, see Setting Up an ODBC DSN in the Vertica documentation.
Connect Vertica to Datawatch Monarch
- Launch the Datawatch Monarch application.
- Click the Open Data button that appears on the main screen.
- The Select Data Source to Open window appears. Click ODBC from the list of available connections.
The ODBC DSN window opens. In the drop-down menu, select the DSN to your Vertica database you previously created.
- Enter your user ID and password.
- Click Test Connection. If the connection is successful, a message appears.
- Click OK to continue.
Datawatch Monarch automatically lists the tables that you have permission to access. Select a table to start exploring and preparing data.
Known limitations using the ODBC driver are:
- Datawatch Monarch does not support BINARY, VARBINARY, and LONG VARBINARY data types.
- Datawatch Monarch does not support TIME, TIMETZ, and INTERVAL data types.
- Datawatch Monarch does not support UUID data types.
- Datawatch Monarch displays NAN values as NULL.
- Datawatch Monarch truncates NUMERIC and INTEGER data types to 14 digits and displays the extra digits as zeroes.