|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with DBeaver: Connection Guide
About Vertica Connection Guides
Vertica connection guides provide basic information about setting up connections to Vertica from software that our technology partners create. These documents provide guidance using one version of Vertica and one version of the third party vendor’s software. Other versions of the third-party product may work with Vertica. However, other versions may not have been tested.
Vertica and DBeaver Versions Tested
This document is based on our testing of Vertica and DBeaver using the following versions:
Windows Server 2012 R2
Vertica JDBC driver 9.0.x
Vertica Server 9.0.1-0
DBeaver is a free and open-source database tool for developers and database administrators. It is based on an open-source framework and allows users to write various extensions.
Download the latest version of DBeaver from the DBeaver site.
To install DBeaver, follow the instructions provided by the automatic installer distribution. Alternatively, you can unpack the download and start the DBeaver executable.
Note Do not extract DBeaver in the same folder where an older version of DBeaver is installed. Be sure to remove previous versions before installing a new version in the same folder.
Before you can connect to Vertica using DBeaver, you must install the Vertica JDBC client driver by following these steps:
- Go to the Vertica Client Drivers page.
- Download the version of the Vertica client package that is compatible with the architecture of your operating system and Vertica server version.
Note Vertica drivers are forward compatible, so you can connect to the Vertica server using previous versions of the client. For more information about client and server compatibility, see Client Driver and Server Version Compatibility in the Vertica documentation.
Follow these steps to create a connection to Vertica:
- Open DBeaver.
- Select Database > New Connection.
- In the Create New Connection window, select Vertica.
- Click Next.
- In the General tab, enter your database credentials.
- Click Edit Driver Settings. The Edit Driver Vertica window opens.
- Select Add File.
- Select the Vertica JDBC file you downloaded.
- Click Open. The file appears in the Edit Driver Vertica window.
- Click OK.
- Click Test Connection. If your connection to Vertica is successful, a message appears.
In time-related tables, milliseconds do not appear. You can resolve this issue by following these steps:
- In DBeaver, select Window > Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, select Database > Result Sets > Data Formats.
- Change the Type to Time or Timestamp. This will display the millisecond value.
- Vertica Integration with DBeaver: Tips and Techniques
- Vertica Community
- Vertica Documentation
- Big Data Analytics and Community