|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with Chartio: Connection Guide
About Vertica Connection Guides
Vertica connection guides provide basic information about setting up connections to Vertica from software that our technology partners create. These documents provide guidance using one specific version of Vertica and one specific version of the third-party vendor’s software. Other versions of the third-party product may work with Vertica. However, other versions may not have been tested. This document provides guidance using the latest versions of Vertica and Chartio as of March, 2016.
Chartio is a business intelligence service that lets you explore your data from a wide variety of sources.
Chartio connects to your Vertica analytic database using the Vertica JDBC driver, which is installed on the cloud. You do not need to separately install the JDBC driver. The current version of Chartio uses Vertica JDBC driver 7.1.2.
Thisdocment is based on results from testing Vertica 7.1.x , Vertica 7.1.2 JDBC Driver with Chartio, February 2016 release.
Chartio is a cloud product. If it is not installed, request an account by following these steps:
- Navigate to the Chartio page.
- Enter your information.
- Click See Chartio and enter your company information.
- Click Finish.
A Chartio representative will contact you with a free demo of Chartio.
Connect to Vertica from Chartio using JDBC
Chartio connects to Vertica using the JDBC driver. Currently, only JDBC 7.1.2 is installed on the Chartio cloud environment. This driver connects to Vertica 7.1.2 and later.
Follow these steps to connect to Vertica as a data source:
From the Settings menu at the top of the screen, select Data Sources.
- Click +Add a DataSource. The Connect to New Data Source screen appears.
- Click Vertica. If you do not have your connection information, contact your personal Chartio teammate for assistance. Otherwise, Vertica appears in the database list.
- Enter the following connection information to Connect a Vertica Data Source:
- Datasource Alias
- Database Name
- Schema Name
- Database Username
- Database Password
- Hostname or IP
- Database Port
- Click Connect. The schema information screen appears.
Based on the schema information you entered, the objects in the schema appear on the following screen. Check which objects you want to include or exclude. Click Apply. You will receive a notification after the schema finishes refreshing.
After the refresh completes, click Visualize to see if there is any relationship with the object you selected. The following graphic shows a sample relationship:
- To explore your data, from the menu at the top of the screen, click Explore.
You can now begin analyzing and visualizing your data.
Create a Data Source with Multiple Schemas
After you connect, you can create a data source with only one schema, unless you join the schemas. To create a data source with multiple schema using Chartio:
- Create a view that joins the table between the two schemas.
- Grant permission on the view and the objects of the views to the user.
- Follow the steps to add a data source. If you already have a data source defined with schema, refresh the schema to see the view.
Vertica Data Types
Chartio supports the following Vertica data types:
- Text: BOOLEAN, CHAR, and VARCHAR
- Numeric: DECIMAL, FLOAT, INTEGER, MONEY, and NUMBER
- Intervals: YEAR_TO_MONTH and HOURS_TO_SECOND
For More Information
|For More Information About…||See…|
Vertica Community Edition
Big Data and Analytics Community