|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with Toad Data Point: Connection Guide
About Vertica Connection Guides
Vertica connection guides provide basic information about setting up connections to Vertica from software that our technology partners create. These documents provide guidance using one version of Vertica and one version of the third party vendor’s software. Other versions of the third-party product may work with Vertica. However, we may not have tested those other versions.
Vertica and Toad Data Point: Versions Tested
Toad Data Point 184.108.40.2068 (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
Vertica ODBC driver version 9.1.0
Vertica Database 9.1.0
|Vertica Server Platform||CentOS 6.2|
Toad Data Point Overview
Toad Data Point is a basic querying and reporting tool that connects to a wide range of data sources. It includes database diagrams and query builder features.
For more details see the Toad Data Point website.
Download and Install Data Point
- Go to the Toad Data Point download site.
- Complete the required fields in the Download Your Free Trial box and click Download Trial.
- Download the Toad Data Point (64 bit) version (
Note The name of the downloaded file may differ slightly depending on what version of Toad Data Point is currently available for trial.
Toaddatapoint_pro_220.127.116.118.exeand follow the installation wizard prompts to install Data Point. For more information see the Toad Data Point Installation Guide.
Download and Install the Vertica Client Drivers
Before you can connect to Vertica using Toad Data Point, you must install the Vertica client package. This package includes the ODBC client driver that Toad Data Point uses to connect to Vertica.
Download Vertica Client Drivers
- Go to the Vertica Client Drivers page.
- Download the version of the Vertica client package that is compatible with the architecture of your operating system and Vertica server version.
- Based on the client driver package you downloaded, follow the installation instructions in the Vertica documentation.
Note Vertica has a unified Client Driver setup for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. You do not need a separate setup for 32-bit OS and 64-bit OS.
For more information about client and server compatibility, see Client Driver and Server Version Compatibility in the Vertica documentation.
Create an ODBC DSN following the Setting up an ODBC DSN instructions in the Connecting to Vertica section of the documentation. This is used by Toad Data Point when establishing a connection with Vertica.
Connect Toad Data Point to Vertica
With Toad Data Point running, do the following to connect to Vertica:
- Select File > New > Connection. The Create New Connection window appears:
- Select Vertica from the Group dropdown menu. The following appears:
- Under the General tab, enter the following information:
Data source name: Select the DSN created earlier.
User: Enter the database user name.
Password: Enter the database password.
Database: Select the browse button to choose the default database.
- Click Connect. Upon a successful connection the following appears in the Navigation Manager on the left:
From the Object Explorer tab you can browse the Vertica database to which you are connected. Select the schema whose tables you want to use. See the Toad Data Point documentation for more information.
Before using Toad Data Point with Vertica, be aware of the following known limitations:
- Toad Data Point only supports Vertica’s ODBC Driver. Vertica’s ADO.NET and OLEDB driver are not supported.
- Toad Data Point displays BOOLEAN data types as a checkbox.
- Toad Data does not support BINARY data types.
- Millisecond is not supported by TIME, TIMETZ, TIMESTAMP and TIMESTAMPTZ data types.
- TIMETZ does not support Timezone data type.