|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with Sisense: Connection Guide
About Vertica Connection Guides
Vertica connection guides provide basic instructions for connecting a third-party partner product to Vertica. Connection guides are based on our testing with specific versions of Vertica and the partner product.
Vertica and Sisense: Latest Versions Tested
Sisense build 126.96.36.19914
Windows Server 2012 R2
Vertica ODBC 9.1.1-0
Vertica Analytic Database 9.1.1-0
Sisense is a Business Intelligence tool that is widely used for data analytics. With Sisense, you can combine and analyze data from multiple sources. The Sisense ElastiCube Manager allows non-technical users to join large data sets across multiple data sources and create visualizations that are accessible on different devices, including mobile devices.
For details about Sisense, visit the Sisense website.
You can download a 14-day free trial of Sisense. Follow these steps:
- On the Sisense website, navigate to the download site for the free trial.
- Provide the registration details.
- Click Start Now.
Refer to the Sisense documentation for details.
Sisense installs the following programs on your computer:
- Sisense ElastiCube Manager—For creating the model and defining the data source
- Sisense Server Console—For viewing the status of the ElastiCube
Install the Vertica Client Driver
Sisense uses the Vertica ODBC driver to connect to your Vertica database. The ODBC driver is included in the Vertica client package. To download and install the Vertica client package:
- Navigate to the Vertica Client Drivers page.
Download the Vertica client package that is compatible with the architecture of your operating system and Vertica server version.
Vertica drivers are forward compatible, so you can connect to the Vertica server using earlier versions of the client.
The Vertica ODBC driver is now both backward and forward compatible. The ODBC driver was made backwards compatible from version 8.1.1.
For more information about client and server compatibility, see Client Driver and Server Version Compatibility in the Vertica documentation.
- Follow the installation instructions in the Vertica documentation.
- Create an ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) as described in the Vertica documentation.
Connect Sisense to Vertica
Start the Sisense ElastiCube Manager from the Windows Start menu or by clicking ElastiCubeManager.exe in the Sisense installation directory.
The Sisense ElastiCube Manager home screen displays:
On the File menu, select New ElastiCube File.
Provide a name for the ElastiCube File and click the check mark.
- Click Add.
Select Generic ODBC Driver.
- Select your DSN from the drop-down list and click Test Connection.
When the connection is successful, click OK.
Select the tables that contain the data that you want to use and click Add.
You can view the source data by checking the Preview check box.
Join the data using the common keys.
Select Build Schema Changes, if you are changing an existing file, or Build Entire ElastiCube, if you are creating a new ElastiCube. Click Build.
When the build has completed, Click File > Save ElastiCube and click the dashboard.
The Sisense front-end displays in a web browser:
Provide your credentials and click Login.
Provide the name of the ElastiCube file and the title of the dashboard and click Create.
Select the columns to include in the new widget (report).
The new widget displays.
To add more reports to the dashboard, click the plus sign (+) and select the data.
Select the chart type from the available styles on the left and click Create.
Place the widget anywhere by dragging it onto the dashboard.
- Binary, VarBinary, LongVarBinary, IntervalSecond, IntervalMonths and LongVarChar data types are not supported in visualizations.
- The size of Char data types is limited to 4679.
- The size of Varchar data types is limited to 4678.
- Decimal data types are truncated to one digit after the decimal point.
- Milliseconds are truncated in Time, TimeTZ, TimeStamp, and TimeStampTZ data types.
- Time zone is not included in TimeTZ and TimeStampTZ data types.
For More Information