|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with Dundas BI: Connection Guide
Vertica connection guides provide basic information about setting up connections to Vertica from software that our technology partners create. This document provides guidance using the latest versions described in the next section.
Dundas BI and Vertica Product Versions Tested
This document provides guidance using the software listed as follows:
Dundas BI version 5
Windows Server 2012 R2
Vertica 9.1.1 ADO.NET driver
Dundas BI Overview
Dundas BI provides a set of tools that allows you to view, analyze, and transform your data using comprehensive business intelligence capabilities.
You can connect and integrate Dundas BI with Vertica in real time and on any device from desktop to mobile. You can run Dundas BI on premises or in a cloud environment.
Dundas allows you to:
- Create interactive and customizable dashboards and reports.
- Run ad-hoc queries.
- Analyze your data and performance.
Install Dundas BI
Before downloading and installing Dundas BI, go to the Dundas BI System Requirements page for hardware and software requirements.
Go to the Dundas BI download page to download and install the product. To download the product complete the registration criteria and click Submit. You will receive a verification email. Click the download link from the email to access the download page.
Run the Dundas BI executable (for example, Dundas.BI.Setup.x.x.x.xxxx.exe) to install the product. For detailed installation and configuration instructions see the Dundas installation documentation.
Important Dundas BI is a web-based server application that requires IIS and access to Microsoft SQL Server or PostgreSQL for storing application data. The IIS server and metadata database should be up and running before you try to connect.
Download and Install the Vertica Client Drivers
Dundas BI uses the Vertica native connector to connect to your Vertica database. Download and install the Windows ADO.NET driver on your Dundas BI client machine as follows:
- Go to the Vertica Client Drivers page.
- Download the version of the Vertica client package that is compatible with the architecture of your operating system and Vertica server version.
- Based on the client driver package you downloaded, follow the installation instructions in the Vertica documentation.
Connect Dundas BI to Vertica
Follow these steps to connect Dundas BI to Vertica :
Use the Dundas administrator account you set up during installation to log on to your Dundas BI website using a browser. The URL is provided to you at the end of the installation process, for example:
After you log in the Getting Started window appears:
In the left hand side menu of the Getting Started window, click the Home icon. The Welcome Home screen appears:
- Select Explore Data. The following appears:
Select Data Connectors from the menu on the right-hand side of this screen. The following toolbar appears:
- Select the New Data Connector icon. The New Data Connector window appears on the left side of the screen:
- From the Data Provider drop-down menu, select Vertica database.
Enter the following information:
- Login credentials
- Host IP address
- Database name
- Connection pooling parameters
- Connection settings parameters
- Session settings parameters
- Click Test connection to verify that the connection works.
- After you verify that the connection works, select the check box at the bottom-right of the screen.
Work with the Vertica Data
Follow these steps to select the data you want to work with:
- Click the Home icon on the upper-left of the screen to return to the Welcome Home page.
Click Explore the data. The Metric Sets window opens.
A metric set is an object that allows you to work with your Vertica data. You can define measures, dimensions, filters, sorting, and hierarchy, and sort and transform your data. You create a visualization of that data using the characteristics specified in your metric set.
Click Use an existing data structure. A list of objects in the schema displays.
Select the table you want to work with and select the check box to view the details of that table:
Now you can view, transform, and make visualizations of the data in your Vertica database.
Before using Dundas BI with Vertica, be aware of the following known limitations:
- Dundas BI does not display data and may display an error for the following Vertica data types:
Dundas BI rounds to 2 digits after a decimal for DECIMAL and FLOAT values.
- Dundas BI does not support the following FLOAT data type values:
- Dundas BI truncates the millisecond portion of the typical values TIMESTAMP and TIMESTAMPTZ data types.
For More Information