|Share this article:|
Vertica Integration with Attunity Replicate: Connection Guide
About Vertica Connection Guides
Vertica connection guides provide basic instructions for connecting a third-party partner product to Vertica. Connection guides are based on our testing with specific versions of Vertica and the partner product.
Vertica and Attunity Replicate: Latest Versions Tested
Attunity Replicate 220.127.116.116
|Partner Product Platform||
Windows Server 2016 Standard
CentOS Linux 7.4.1708 (Core)
Vertica ODBC 9.2.1-0
Vertica Analytic Database 9.2.1-0
Attunity Replicate Overview
Attunity Replicate provides automated, real-time and universal data integration across all major data lakes, streaming systems, databases, data warehouses, and mainframe systems, on premises and in the cloud.
Attunity Replicate empowers organizations to accelerate data replication, ingest and streaming across a wide range of heterogeneous databases, data warehouses, and big data platforms.
Installing Attunity Replicate
Attunity Replicate can be installed on both Windows and Linux.
To install Attunity Replicate:
- Go to the Attunity Replicate website.
- Click Try for Free.
- Follow the installation instructions in the Attunity Replicate documentation.
Installing the Vertica Client Driver
Before connecting Attunity Replicate to Vertica, you must install the Vertica client package. This package includes the ODBC client driver that Attunity Replicate uses to connect to Vertica. Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Client Drivers page on the Vertica website.
Download the Vertica client package that is compatible with the architecture of your operating system and Vertica server version.
For details about client and server compatibility, see Client Driver and Server Version Compatibility in the Vertica documentation.
Follow the installation instructions in the Vertica documentation:
Create a DSN as described in Creating an ODBC Data Source Name (DSN)
Connecting Attunity Replicate to Vertica
Follow these steps to connect Attunity Replicate to your Vertica database. This creates a source and target for Vertica data.
Open a browser and type the following to go to the Attunity Replicate login page. Enter the credentials to log in:
https://<IPAddress or HostName>/attunityreplicate
https://<IPAddress or HostName>:<Port_Number>/attunityreplicate
Click the Manage Endpoint Connections tab:
In the Manage Endpoint Connections dialog box, click New Endpoint Connection to create a source/target data source:
To define the source:
- Name: Type a source connection name.
- Role: Click Source.
- Type: Select ODBC.
In Windows Environment: Click DSN, then click Browse to locate your DSN.
In Linux Environment: Click Connection string, and enter the Username and Password.
- Click Test Connection to test the source connection.
To define the target:
- Name: Type a target connection name.
- Role: Click Target.
- Type: Select HP Vertica
Provide the database credentials:
- Click Test Connection to test the target connection.
Replicating Data from Vertica Source to Vertica Target
Follow these procedures to create a replication task:
- Click New Task.
The New Task dialog appears:
- Type VerticatoVertica in the Name field, or use a name that best suits the needs of your organization.
- In the Replication Profile field, select Unidirectional.
- In the Task Options field, select Full Load.
- Click OK to create the new replication task VerticatoVertica.
- Open the VerticatoVertica task:
- Drag and drop your source and target (Vertica_Src and Vertica_TGT in this example) to their correct positions in the Task Designer Window:
- Click Table Selection on the right pane of the Task Designer Window:
The Select Tables/Views dialog appears:
- Select the tables for which you want to replicate data to the target database and click OK.
- Click Run to execute the replication process:
- Click Monitor to check that the replication was successful. A list of replicated tables appears at the bottom.
- LongVarChar data is replicated up to 4096 characters. Data can be replicated correctly up to 65000 characters when the size of Limit LOB Size to (kb) is changed to 256 from 8(default) under Target Metadata of Task Settings.
For Decimal data type, a maximum of 132 digits without scale can be replicated including the digits’ sign.
- Long VarBinary data is replicated till 65000 places.
- For Time and TimeTz data types, the millisecond and TimeZone values are truncated.
- For Double data type, NaN values are replicated as 0 in the Windows environment.