Vertica Analytics Platform Version 9.2.x Documentation
Vertica Support for LVM
Vertica 9.2.x supports Linux Volume Manager (LVM) on all supported operating systems.
LVM Version Supported
Vertica supports LVM version 2.02.66 or later, and must include device-mapper version 1.02.48 or later.
LVM Configuration Notes
In configuring LVM:
- When you create logical volumes with the
lvcreatecommand, use the
readaheadoption to set the read ahead sector count to greater than 2048 KB.
- You can use the default settings for all other LVM options.
The following limitations apply to LVM support:
- You cannot have physical drives shared across several nodes.
- Vertica supports linear logical volumes only. Vertica does not support striped or mirrored logical volumes.
- Vertica supports extending logical volumes (
lvextend), but not reducing the size of a logical volume.
- Vertica recommends frequent backups.
- Vertica does not support LVM backup and restore, such as LVM snapshot and merge. Use the Vertica backup file vbr.py.
- Vertica does not support LVM space reclamation because space reclamation is duplicated when reducing the size of a logical volume.
- Vertica does not support LVM migration. Use Vertica Copy operations.
- Vertica does not support LVM high availability. Use Vertica high availability capabilities.
- Vertica does not support LVM RAID. Configure RAID at the disk controller level.
Was this topic helpful?