Provision a New Vertica Cluster and Database on AWS Resources
If you deployed MC on Amazon Web Services (AWS) resources using a CloudFormation Template, MC provides a step-by-step wizard that allows you to create a Vertica cluster and database.
You provision new Vertica clusters in the same VPC and subnet as the Vertica Management Console instance. Using the wizard, you can create an initial cluster of up to 60 hosts.
- On the MC home page, click Create a New Vertica Database Cluster.
- Choose a mode for your database: Eon Mode or Enterprise Mode. You cannot switch the database mode after creation.
Follow the cluster creation wizard and enter the parameters for your new cluster and database.
By default, Vertica creates your cluster in the same subnet as your MC instance. If you want to manage all Vertica clusters in the same VPC, you can provision your Vertica database in a different subnet than the MC instance. To do so, on the AWS Credentials page, select Show Advanced Options and enter a value in the Subnet field.
If you specify a different subnet for your database, make sure to secure the subnet.
- When launching MC with provisioning, use the authentication method you selected in the CloudFormation Console.
- If you choose Enterprise Mode, the wizard offers two paths:
- Quick Create provides default values during cluster creation.
- Custom Create allows you to specify EC2 instance types and other AWS resources for your Vertica cluster instances.
If you choose Eon Mode, in the Vertica Version field, select the desired Vertica database version. You can select from the latest hotfix of recent Vertica releases. For each database version, you can select RedHat, CentOS, or Amazon Linux for the operating system.
- Also in Eon Mode, only in the Custom Create path, select whether or not your EBS volume should be encrypted. Only c4, r4, and m4 instances support encryption.
- Optionally, you can tag the EC2 instances. In the Tag EC2 instances field, if another cluster is already running, Management Console fills those fields with the tag values for the first instance in the cluster. You can accept the defaults, or enter new tag values.
- Review the details you entered for your new cluster.
- Click Create. The dialog shows you the progress of the creation process, which takes a few minutes. (You can leave or close the browser during this process. To return to this progress window, select Create a New Vertica Database Cluster on the home page.)
During Eon Mode database creation, use an existing Amazon S3 bucket in the same region as the instances for your communal storage location. You must also specify a new, nonexisting subfolder name that Vertica then dynamically creates within the existing S3 bucket. Use a format beginning with s3://. For example, s3://existingbucket/newsubfolder1.
- The dialog displays a success message when the creation process completes. Click Get Started to view the Fast Tasks page.
To view your new database, go to the Available Databases section of the Management Console home page.
For more information about further managing your cluster, instances, and database using MC, see Managing Database Clusters.