by Shilpa Lawande & Luis Maldonado
Big data is all the rage these days. It is incredible to watch this segment mature- even in just the past few years. Of course, Vertica continues to evolve and innovate to keep up with the challenges and demands of this movement, especially when it comes to analytics. The three greatest challenges customers face with regards to Big Data are 1) the volume and velocity of data, 2) the rapidly growing variety of disparate sources of data, and 3) the complex analytics that are required for maximizing the value of information derived from data. In Vertica 6, we address all of these and more!
It has been just over two and a half years since Vertica first released FlexStore™, our patented architecture for flexible storage and placement of data based on usage patterns. During this time, we have been hard at work to evolve our flagship database product from a blazingly fast database into a rich and flexible analytic platform. Our high performance MPP columnar engine combined with our suite of built-in analytic functions including time-series, event-series pattern matching, C++ SDK, and more have enabled over 600 customers to transform their businesses by harnessing the power of large scale real-time analytics. Last week at HP Discover, we raised the bar once again, with the release of Vertica 6, including the industry’s first and only open analytics architecture that enables broad analytics over any data source, structured, semi-structured or unstructured.
Let’s review some of the highlights of Vertica 6.
- Vertica 6 FlexStore™ has been expanded to allow access to any data, stored at any location, via any interface, providing a comprehensive architecture to handle the requirements of Big Data – open, extensible, and flexible. Using our patent-pending User-Defined Load (UDL) feature, you can now connect natively to popular storage systems like Hadoop File System (HDFS), existing databases and data warehouses, as well as unstructured analysis platforms such as HP/Autonomy IDOL™. Further, by combining our External Tables capability with UDL, you can access those data sources in a federated manner at query time, without pre- loading data into Vertica. Now, whether you are just exploring your data in HDFS to find the right data model or building a production application, you can use the same robust Vertica SQL analytics you know and love, and use your favorite reporting and visualization tools to slice and dice the data!
- Vertica 6 includes high performance and massively scalable in-database analytics for the R statistical tool. Data scientists and analysts can now run their favorite statistical algorithms written in R natively and in parallel on Vertica, without the in-memory and single-threading limitations of R! We’ve also expanded our C++ SDK to add secure sandboxing of user-defined code, and additional APIs for user-defined aggregates, analytics and multi-phase transform functions that can enable Map-Reduce style computations to be done in Vertica.
- Vertica 6 simplifies the out-of-the-box user experience and enables more diverse workloads with our improvements to Workload Management. An early adopter of Vertica 6 experienced a 40x speed up on some of their queries. Whether you are running complex analytics or short operational BI workloads, Vertica’s workload management capabilities can effectively balance all system resources to meet your SLAs.
- In 2007, Vertica was the first analytics platform to run on the Cloud. With Vertica 6 we extended this lead in significant ways. First, we announced a private beta of Vertica on HP’s new public Cloud. Further, we extended the core platform with a number of enhancements such as Object-level Backup & Restore and Schema evolution that make it much easier to develop and deploy multi-tenant applications using Vertica.
- Last but not the least, we continue to invest in our core platform with a number of enhancements to overall query and load performance, elastic cluster, monitoring views, database designer, security and more.
For a quick overview of Vertica 6, we highly recommend watching this video interview of Luis Maldonado, Director of Product Management, from last week’s HP Discover show, or reading What’s new in Vertica 6 Enterprise Edition. Watch this space over the next few days, for more articles that drill down into specific features of Vertica 6!
We at Vertica are very excited about Vertica 6 and the role it plays in HP’s vision for Cloud, Security and Information Optimization. We hope you will try it for yourselves and tell us your stories about how you used it to Make it Matter for your business!
Over the next few days, watch this space for articles that drill down into specific features of Vertica 6.