New Software Development Kit Enables Users, Developers and Partners to Take Full Advantage of Vertica’s Real-time Parallel Processing Engine for Big Data
BILLERICA, Mass., June 20, 2011 – Vertica, an HP Company, today announced availability of Vertica 5.0, the latest version of the Vertica Analytics Platform, which offers greatly improved flexibility and real-time performance for customers’ most demanding business intelligence and analytic workloads.
The Vertica Analytics Platform analyzes data on a massive scale, with several customers analyzing more than a petabyte of data in real time. Vertica 5.0 delivers improved flexibility, extensibility and performance in how users analyze and manage their business-critical information by providing a software development kit (SDK). The kit provides the ability to customize and insert customer- and use case-specific query logic into the Vertica database for fully parallel execution.
“Catastrophic risk management is facing exploding demand for very large scale data sets to be analyzed quasi-real time through ever more complex algorithms,” said Philippe Stephan, chief technology officer at Risk Management Solutions (RMS), a leading provider of risk solutions for financial institutions. “RMS’ answer to this perfect storm relies on Vertica 5.0 and the SDK, resulting in phenomenal data and algorithmic scalability for the benefit of our most demanding customers.”
As part of the 5.0 release, Vertica is delivering greater analytical power, cloud enablement, availability and ease of use to the analytic marketplace:
- Software Development Kit. Vertica 5.0 provides users, developers and partners with a robust SDK to write custom methods for analyzing data directly in the Vertica database. Users can implement MapReduce and other user-defined functions through standard SQL queries.
- Enhanced Native In-Database Analytics. Extending Vertica’s implementation of standard SQL, new advanced native SQL analytic functions include Geospatial, Event-Series Pattern Matching, Event-Series Joins, and Advanced Aggregate Statistical and Regression.
- Performance Improvements. Extending Vertica’s lead in real-time analytics for real-world applications, Vertica 5.0 delivers performance enhancements throughout the Vertica Analytics Platform in areas such as subqueries, database statistics, lifecycle management, query optimization, data resegmentation and join filtering.
- Manageability Enhancements. Responding to the availability needs of mission-critical analytics at petabyte scale, Vertica 5.0 offers features that yield unique operational and disaster recovery capabilities while providing performance advantages as data replicas are fully available. In addition, Vertica’s backup capabilities have been expanded with greater operational flexibility and improved performance.
- Elasticity and Cluster Cloning. Vertica 5.0 delivers enhanced elasticity features that enable dynamic expansion and contraction of clusters over 20x faster in every deployment scenario – cloud, virtual and physical – allowing users to quickly create additional capacity as needed. In addition, Vertica 5.0 offers full cluster cloning capabilities for on-demand creation of Vertica databases for any workload with auto-sizing and auto-tuning across different topologies and physical designs. This allows users to quickly spin off subsets of their databases for analytical sandboxes or focused analysis of complex data.
“With this latest release of the Vertica Analytics Platform, we’ve focused on performance, manageability and extensibility for our customers,” said Shilpa Lawande, vice president, Engineering, Vertica. “Our new SDK empowers users, developers and partners to create custom analytics that can be called via a standard SQL query, taking full advantage of the performance and scalability of the Massively Parallel Processing columnar Vertica Analytics Platform.”
With the release of Vertica 5.0, Vertica extends its vision of Analytics Everywhere™, enabling customers to leverage all of their business-critical data from various structured, semi-structured and unstructured sources to make better informed decisions. Vertica 5.0 delivers the flexibility customers demand in order to monetize their data for today’s information economy.
Pricing and Availability
Vertica 5.0 is available immediately worldwide as a software download directly from Vertica, and will soon be available on the HP Vertica Analytics System, a fully integrated technology stack, based on HP Converged Infrastructure, including hardware, management software applications, consulting and HP Solution Support services. Pricing is based on a flexible licensing model calculated on the amount of data loaded into the Vertica Analytics Platform.
HP Vertica real-time analytics platform has more than 350 clients in a variety of industries, including finance, communications, online web and gaming, healthcare, consumer marketing and retail. Software such as the Vertica Analytics Platform is a critical element at the heart of HP’s growth strategy, outlined by HP President and Chief Executive Officer Léo Apotheker on March 14.
More information is available at www.vertica.com/vertica-5-0-software-release.
Vertica, an HP Company, is the leading provider of next-generation analytics platforms enabling companies to monetize their data at the speed and scale necessary to deliver significant value to customers and shareholders. Vertica’s scalability and flexibility are unmatched in the industry delivering 50x-1,000x faster performance at 30 percent the cost of traditional solutions. Vertica is used by customers worldwide including Groupon, Zynga, Verizon, Guess Inc., Capital IQ, Mozilla and Comcast.
# # #
Vertica is a registered trademark of Vertica in the United States and other countries.
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; the development and transition of new products and services (and the enhancement of existing products and services) to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the achievement of expected operational and financial results; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 30, 2011 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2010. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.