Recently, HP has announced HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop. We’ve leveraged our years of experience in big data analytics and opened up our platform to allow users to tap into the full power of Hadoop. It’s a rich, fast, and enterprise-ready implementation of SQL on Hadoop that we’re very proud to introduce.
We know that you have choice when it comes to SQL-on-Hadoop engines. There are several SQL on Hadoop engines on the market for a reason – they are very powerful way to perform analytics on big data stored in Hadoop by using the familiar SQL language. Users are able to leverage any reporting or analytical tool to analyze and study the data rather than write their own Java and Map/Reduce code.
However, not all SQL-on-Hadoop is created the same. We think HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop has some very big differences. These include:
- Platform Agnostic – When you adopt a SQL on Hadoop query engine, it may be stuck to one distribution of Hadoop. Not so with HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop. Our implementation works with Hortonworks, Cloudera and MapR distributions.
- SQL Completeness – The richer the SQL engine, the wider the range of analytics that you can perform with extensive coding and data movement. You get a very rich set of analytical functions with HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop. HP Vertica offers enterprise-ready, advanced analytics that support JOINs, complex data types, and other capabilities only available from our SQL on Hadoop implementation.
- Manageability – Tools for managing queries and managing the resources of your cluster are fairly scarce and immature in the Hadoop world. However, with some of the tools we include, you can divide resources among different queries and different types of queries. If unplanned and resource-intensive queries have to be cancelled or temporarily interrupted, they can be.
- Data Source Transparency – It’s important to allow you to query common data standard storage formats such as Parquet, Avro and ORC. When you can use native formats, you avoid having to move the data.
- Path to Optimization – When you need to boost performance, HP Vertica for SQL on Hadoop offers optimizations like compression, columnar storage, and projections
You can’t really forget the fact that this offering comes from HP Software. Users should be able to take advantage of all the power of our Haven platform for big data. Encompassing proven technologies from HP Software, including Autonomy, Vertica, and ArcSight, Haven enables forward-thinking organizations to make use of virtually all information sources from both inside and outside its four walls to make better, faster decisions.
Download the report here.