Did your 2014 summer internship include rubber bulldozers, ice cream, and bumper boats? Were you able to develop and work on real projects for real customers, while eating free bagels and bananas? If not, then consider applying to HP Vertica for the summer of 2015.
Our 2014 interns had a great time scaling mountains (all right, it was a 635-foot hill) and building bridges (made out of toothpicks and gumdrops), while developing software that makes the HP Vertica database faster, more accurate, and more secure.
Our interns work closely with their mentors to solve hard problems and improve our product. Along the way, we encourage them to collaborate with cross-functional teams, attend technical talks that aren’t necessarily related to their projects, and create funny short videos about our database features. One of those videos appeared in EVP and GM Colin Mahony’s welcome presentation at the HP Vertica Big Data Conference!
Our interns tackled (and solved!) some interesting problems during the summer of 2014, including:
- Improving trickle loading using Kestrel and Apache Storm.
- Improving the encoding algorithm for Vmap data in a flex table.
- Creating an R package for pattern mining.
- Integrating HP Vertica with Apache Hadoop YARN.
- Enhancing the documentation about database locks.
- Implementing key-based client authentication for the HP Vertica Amazon Machine Image (AMI).
- Adding features to and improve the performance of our test-tracking application.
- Improving the scalability and performance of HP Vertica Database Designer.
- Improving query optimizer plans for columns that are guaranteed to be unique.
- Developing a tool that processes diagnostic information.
Everyone at HP Vertica works hard, but we like to have fun, too. We make sure to include the interns in our company outings and weekly gaming nights, but we also plan extra activities for them: hiking, mini-golf, volleyball, and tubing were some of this summer’s highlights. And our in-work and out-of-work activities this summer usually included copious consumption of ice cream.
Over the years, many of our best employees are former interns. So if you want to improve your technical skills, gain an understanding of our column-store database, make new friends, and have a lot of fun in the process, now is the best time to apply for an internship at HP Vertica.